Monday, June 6, 2016

Day 158

SHEETS, SHEETS, SHEETS
how much do I need to spend for comfortable sheets?

I have complained for many years about sheets. Who would think that is a huge problem?? I guess I do! I remember the old days....prior to the '80's....when you could find cotton percale sheets at Sears and JC Penney's that felt nice and crisp and cool. Now mostly what I see is 400 or 500 or 600 and even 800 count Egyptian Cotton sheets. They are too soft, wrinke easily and become worn and torn quickly. 

So enough people buy these sheets and don't seem to complain, so what is my problem?? I hate buying new sheets when I cannot find what I want. One problem over the years has been to find the right "pocket" depth. If it is too small, the bottom sheet slips off and if it is too big, it gets wrinkled when you are tossing and turning while trying to sleep. Ugh. OK, so Tempurpedic to the rescue. Love our mattress. Um, now I don't need the deep pocket bottom sheet, but do they even make regular ones anymore?

There are now so many choices, with price tags that are exorbitant. Flannel sheets are way too warm and not for us. Jersey sheets are too stretchy and still too warm. Polyester sheets just don't sound right. Rayon? No. Silk? Never tried them, but maybe I should. Then there is microfiber.

Enter Costco. When I was shopping a month or so ago at Costco they had a representative promoting Jennifer Adams Microfiber Sheets. $99.99 for a king size set. Gulp. At the high end (for me) but I bought them hoping they would live up to the Costco standards. I finally put them on the bed last week. The first morning Dave said, "These sheets were making me too warm." As the nights went on, we both found that though they were comfortable enough, neither one of us could stand trying to sleep with these sheets making us overheated. It must be that they are microfiber. So, off they came and Dave will be returning them for a refund. (Thank you Costco!)

Oh, and yes, we do have air conditioning so it was definitely the sheets! Since it has been a few years since I have purchased new sheets, I may have to look and see if there are some improvements in the current supply of cotton percale sheets. Or maybe I should look at the Goodwill and see if I can find a set of 1960's sheets. NOT!!!



1 comment:

Kari said...

Look online! I see percale sheets there all the time, like these....a little more than costco, but they are returnable! https://www.brooklinen.com/collections/classic-percale-sheets/products/classic-core-sheet-set-fqkc?variant=9295860227