Thursday, January 5, 2017

It's a New Year - Priorities and Practices

I have rarely kept my past resolutions for a whole year. Good intentions are just that. Intentions. I am pleased with myself that I actually followed through for ALL of 2016 with a photo a day posted on my blog. Well, I did have a couple of goofs, like right in the beginning when I missed Day One!

But here it is 2017 and I made no resolutions, so no worries about failing. I've been thinking though. Thinking about what is truly important in my life. What do I value? Where are my priorities? How do I spend my time? A bit of introspection, if you will. Wikipedia defines it thusly: "Introspection is the examination of one's own conscious thoughts and feelings. In psychology the process of introspection relies exclusively on observation of one's mental state, while in a spiritual context it may refer to the examination of one's soul."

So there it is, both the mind and the soul. One cannot be untangled from the other. My "conscious thoughts and feelings" are definitely tied to my soul. What do I think about? How do I feel about things? Once again, my favorite source (Wikipedia) defines soul: "In many religions, philosophical, and mythological traditions, the soul is the 
incorporeal essence of a living being." 

Where am I headed with this? I am simply questioning just "who" I am or rather "whose" I am. I'm almost 70 for crying out loud. I really know who I am, warts and all. Ah, but "whose" I am is the more important word to ponder. I know, I know, I am a child of the King. I was snatched out of the grip of the devil and presented as clean before my Lord and Savior. That is the easy part. I know that He is mine, but am I HIS? I mean really His?

What do I think about during any one 24 hour period? How do I spend my time? How much time do I spend in His Word? I think I could do a better job of showing the Lord that I am really His. You know what they say "actions speak louder than words." My mind is pretty active, so I am definitely viewing my "thoughts" as active and very important to God. My thoughts certainly say something about my "essence" (soul.)

Now to the bottom line. I should be continually striving to be more Christ-like, seeking both the mind of Christ and the actions of Christ. This is what I will continue to ponder and work on in 2017 and until the Lord calls me home.

As I have been studying the book of Colossians, I am struck by the reality of this verse and how well it plays into what I have been dwelling on lately.

"And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds, yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach--if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard,which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven...." Colossians 1 21-23

Thank you, Lord, for your saving grace. May I fully look to you in all my ways and seek your face.


No comments: