Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Waning Days of Summer

This is what greeted me when I walked outside yesterday.



And this was just one of many! It is that time of year when I begin to feel like summer is over. The weather has indeed shifted a bit. About a week ago I fell into my usual slump for this phase of summer....I gave up watering my plants. Thankfully Dave is still keeping the plants hydrated! Every year during the middle of August I just sorta quit! Done. I'm bored with the whole deal. I KNOW the potatoes and squash in their tubs still need water. I know some of the flowers are still blooming and need water. But I guess I just see the spent flowers and the leaves turning yellow and brown and get discouraged. I really don't know why this happens each summer, but I'm too old to learn new tricks, so as long as Dave is willing to water, I will continue on this way.

As much as I LOVE hot weather and the sunshine heating up the concrete, there must be part of me that is gearing up for fall. Cool, crisp evenings, sprinkles of rain, cozying up with an afghan while watching the new season of TV programs. Ahhh. But didn't I see some Christmas things appearing in the store the other day? YIKES! Maybe I better try to get outside and water the plants and hang on to summer just a bit longer. Sigh....

No comments: