A place for my personal reflections and recording some of the highlights of my life.
Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Posting this so my kids remember to tell this to THEIR kids when they are teens!
MESSAGE TO MY TEENAGER ~
1. Yes, your freshman AND Sophomore years count towards your GPA for
college entrance. Screw it up and you’ll work for crap wages your whole
2. No means NO. In every possible circumstance.
3. Join every sport, every club, every after school activity no matter what the cost. It’s cheaper than bail.
4. Repeat after me: I am never in that much of a hurry…I am never in
that much of a hurry. Now say that every time you get behind the wheel.
It will save your life and that of your best friend in the seat next to
5. Don’t do drugs or drink - it is so not worth the trouble.
6. Don’t get a credit card. You earn it or you live without it.
7. If I yell at you, it’s because I love you. And also, because you
pissed me off. To avoid the latter, don't be an idiot. And don't
disappoint me. More importantly, yourself.
8. Make a vivid picture inside your head of every great moment of your childhood. You’ll need those to get through adulthood.
9. Make snow angels as often as possible. Make a bucket list. Check it off!
10. Stand up for those who can’t stand up for themselves.
11. Be always benevolent. Yes, that’s a word. Look it up.
12. Call me for a ride even if you are so drunk you barely know my
number. I’ll probably be mad for a while but I’ll respect you for
calling and I won’t kill you. Riding with someone who is drinking will.
(PS - remember #5?)
13. Be a leader, not a follower. Unless
you are following the kid with the highest GPA and (s)he is going to a
study group, then by all means be a follower!
14. Love your
siblings, even when you don’t like them. Some day you will be trying to
get them to take care of me in my old age. If they are mad at you, you
are stuck with me.
15. I’ve been there, done that on more
things than you can imagine. I’m not stupid and I know what you are
doing. I was once you (times ten).
16. Work hard at everything you do. Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
17. Cover it. (Enough said.)
18. When I tell you to clean your room, do not point at my messy room
and raise your eyebrows. I’m trying to raise you to be better than me.
19. Learn to type; to budget; to spell correctly and to pray. All are equally important.
20. Never be sedentary. Someday soon you will no longer be able to move like that. Enjoy it.
I can't take credit for this! And oops....I can't GIVE credit either. Don't know who wrote it....but THANKS!