Sunday, April 7, 2013

Rough hands and feet??

It's time to soften them up. A nice sugar scrub should do the trick. I've tried the ones that they sell at places like Bath and Body Works. They work well, but at $14-$16 it's just way more than I want to spend. Besides I'm a do-it-yourselfer. For a fraction of the cost you can make your own, like I did. My hands are so soft after using this on them just once.

Measurements don't have to be exact, but what you will need is:

1 Cup of granulated sugar (better on your skin than in your tummy)
1 Cup of oil (olive, grape seed, corn oil, etc.)
at least 4 drops of essential oils (I used orange)

Simply combine everything in a glass bowl. Mix together with a spoon and transfer to a glass jar. Keep this in your bathroom and when you are ready to use it, use a small spoon to mix and put a small amount in your hand. Rub into your hands or feet (or elbows!) for about one minute. Pause for about 3 minutes and then rinse with warm water. Pat dry.

I used GrapeOla Grape Seed Oil because it is all natural and contains Omega 6 and Vitamin E. I have made other lotions in past years and have added Vitamin E so this made sense to me! Notice that BIG Tupperware container full of sugar. I have one like it for flour. I've used these for probably 30 years and they are still going strong!
I used to make soap. Preferably goat's milk soap, hence all the essential oils. If you don't use a good quality essential oil you will need to add more drops to make it fragrant, so splurge for the good stuff. I have some good and some not so great oils. Best place to buy your oils is online.

Now wasn't that easy??
 A metal measuring spoon would be perfect for scooping the proper amount out, so tomorrow I will go to my local thrift store and buy one. Don't use plastic! That's why I want a stainless steel measuring teaspoon....it will be short enough to keep in the jar.

And if your hubby has rough hands, have him use this too! Enjoy!






No comments: